Friday, January 28, 2011

Parrot Drawings

Parrot Drawings were done with Crayola Color Sticks, my new obsession. They are like thick pencils with no wood all lead, very sturdy and clean. They are awesome for laying down vibrant color without mess.


I did a little demo of how to use a "candy cane line to begin this drawing. Then they added the chin and a thin "c" for the bird's tummy and a long line for the tail. I added feet and a beak. Then I gave students thumbnail size scrap paper to practice 3 or more  parrots. When they got a parrot that they were happy with I gave them blue construction paper a little less than a half sheet. I find that smaller sizes help students to stay on task without getting tired.


Students drew the bird with blue to match the paper as I did a second step by step demo with them.

We colored the bird yellow then drew around the bird using a blue to match the paper.
Then the drew huge leaf outines and swirls. They hatched the leaves using small lines. then they used dark blue to make shadows in the leaves and yellow to highlight leaves. (They loved that part)

Then we layerd colors on the bird, orange, red, then dark blue making sure to leave some yellow showing.
Last we made waterfalls in the back using white. 





1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful! I may follow this set of steps to see if I can draw a parrot!

    ReplyDelete