Friday, January 7, 2011

Chinese plates

We are studying Chinese New Year and I have been trying to come up with projects for 1st-3rd grades.
I happened upon a really fun art project all you need is a blue marker white paper & 2 circular objects to trace and a tiny paint brush. (I used a really large brush which was a mistake.) 

Anyway this is a super fun project and really doesn't take many supplies or anything special.

For reference images: try to get a blue and white plate or look up blue willow online and print.
I used 2 plates with different patterns, you can use one or more  piece, combine patterns if you like!

This project teaches students about composition, planning, creativity, patterns and monochromatic colors.
I had a great time with this project and when I applied the water I found myself saying "awesome!!!"

It was a funny aha moment that I can't wait to see in Art class next week I can just imagine the 1st and 3rd grade students now!

You can cut out the plate as I have done below:




Anyway I hope that you try this on a rainy day, it is quite addicting! This seems like project to work on along side children, it is so relaxing and fun!



2 comments:

  1. My daughter is in your 2nd grade class and was really fascinated by this. She came home talking about Chinese drawings, and it was helpful to come across this. This is the first time I've had a chance to check out your blog, I think it is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! I am glad to hear that, for some reason I have always gotten an overwhelming response from students when they learn about another culture. It is so much fun to see their faces when they hear mandarin chinese!

    ReplyDelete