Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Jacob Lawrence/Narrative Art Project Post

Jacob Lawrence/Narrative Art Project Post
This assignment was to be patterned after the narrative style of Jacob Lawrence:
The goal of the piece is to tell a story and show your place in the family. 



The piece has a lot of movement and color shows a picture of our family at the holidays in our home in South Florida. This painting is a watercolor painting that was outlined in black marker. I chose to place my father as the central figure in the piece and everyone surrounding him.  My sisters are facing each other and my mother is off to the side. The dinner table is centrally located in the art. I chose a vibrant linear style reminiscent of Jacob Lawrence yet the colors are lighter.
This scene could have taken place in our home on any winter night. One of my dad’s favorite things to do after putting up lights and cleaning the house was to blast Hawaiian inspired Christmas music and swing on the hammock with us. This shows the birth order. I was a middle child, my two older sisters were always together doing something together and in this case it is hula dancing. I am on the hammock with my dad and little sister, as I usually played with her the most. I am holding my trusty blanket that I carried around for far too many years.
The pool and the dinner table occupied a large portion of the scene. We always had a large family dinner each night and spent many hours in the pool through the year. We spent lots of time together in our yard that looked very much like a well-manicured jungle. We had a good childhood and loved holiday times when the work was put away and we were able to enjoy time relaxing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment