Monday, February 20, 2012

Metaphoric Self Portrait Collage

This artwork is from a class project. The goal was to create a metaphoric self-portrait. We also had to use symbolism to tell about ourselves. 



Metaphoric Self-Portrait
Danica Papali


            I thought a lot about making a traditional collage but then decided to base the piece primarily on a painting style that I feel depicts me. The main theme is a struggle a between structure and divergence. I have chosen warm colored energetic and loose frenetic brushstrokes move about in many different directions as the background of my work it symbolize my disorganized and vibrant past. I wanted to show the layers of personality so I used thick brush strokes and color to indicate multiple layers. I have a tendency to move about in many different directions and get excited about many different ideas. Creative excitement can become very consuming and I often find that I am going in so many directions that I am unable to reach the place where I can have the freedom to fully enjoy creativity. The curve of the work the drastic turn in my artistic life when I realized I found my life calling. The cool blue section of the work shows the efforts I am making to move upward with a calm singular focus. My ideal is that will be able to use my talents and abilities to be an encouragement to others while doing what I love. When the painting was completed I digitized the art and worked on the collage in Adobe Illustrator. I used symbols that are major themes in my life; the Chinese flag indicates my love for travel as well as a major catalyst in life. The tropical fish and Spanish cross allude to my upbringing in South Florida. The paintbrush is a large part of my life. Hindi and Arabic characters, speak of my travels to India and marriage between East and West. The verse has been and continues to be a guiding force in my life as it leads my decisions it continues to bring me through adventures, love, and travels.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Danica

    Your art work is beautiful and your explanation really reflects your hoenst life. I just see your consistency toward truth and steadfast character. Please keep continue the art work. The impact of this work really encouraged me. Thank you for giving me the spiritual energy to triumph over adversity.

    ReplyDelete